Tuesday 16 April 2013

3 Bean Chilli by 'Lucy Loves to Blog'


As I’ve recently changed my diet for something a lot healthier this recipe has become a firm favourite, you can adapt it for lunch or dinner, it’s healthy, delicious and it’s cheap and easy to make. It was originally adapted from a beef chilli that my mum wrote out for me years ago but since I don’t eat red meat I got rid of the beef and changed the spices around a little.


Ingredients - Serves 4
1 Tin of Chickpeas
1 Tin of Kidney Beans
1 Tin of Cannellini Beans
1 Tin of Chopped Tomatoes
500 ml Vegetable/Chicken/Beef stock, I use the chicken knorr stock pots
1 Large Pepper
1 Large Onion
2 Cloves of Garlic
4 Birds Eye Chillies if you like it hot, or change to suit your tastes (I often swap these for chilli flakes)
1 Tbsp Cumin Seeds
1 Tbsp Ground Coriander
1 Tbsp Oregano
1 Tsp Cayenne Pepper
1 Tbsp Olive Oil
A Large Handful of Fresh Coriander



Method
1. Firstly chop your peppers and finely slice your onion, add the oil to a wok or large pan and fry the veg on a medium heat until they have started to soften and brown. Whilst this is cooking chop the chillies and the garlic, make your chicken stock and rinse your chickpeas and beans. Once the peppers and onions are cooked, add the chillies and garlic and fry for a minute, add your herbs and spices and fry for a further minute.

2. Add the hot stock and the tinned tomatoes and stir to combine everything, add the rinsed chickpeas and beans and bring to the boil. Once the chilli has boiled turn down and leave it to simmer for 30 - 40 minutes (or until it has thickened up) stirring occasionally. Once it has thickened add the fresh coriander and serve.


How To Serve
There are many ways to serve a good chilli, I’ll often have this by itself for my lunch (maybe a third rather than a quarter of the whole dish) often with a dollop of sour cream on top. To keep it healthy I serve it with basmati rice and handful of spinach leaves or if I’m feeling a bit naughty I eat it tortilla wraps with sour cream, guacamole and cheese.

316 calories for ⅓ or 237 for ¼


2 comments:

  1. Nice recipe! Can i get a mention?!
    beautifulyetassertive.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love veggie chilli but I've never cooked one, mainly because if food doesn't have meat in my other half isn't interested. I may have to invite friends round just to cook this xxx

    ReplyDelete